Monday, July 4, 2011

Declaration of Independence: A Spiritual Document?

Well, it's been a while since I have posted anything...What a crazy past couple of months!  Maybe it's about to get crazier with Abby Grace joining us soon, but hopefully the craziness will center around home, sweet home.  It was a great privilege and honor for Makenzie and I to be involved in "Annie Get Your Gun", and so wonderful to get to know some great new people!  While my heart is sad that it is over, my body is glad for the rest.
So rest is what we are doing this holiday weekend.  Well, I am resting while JJ has been hard at work painting the nursery.  And in an effort to communicate the importance of this day to my children, I came across something worth sharing with others.  Although I did try to share it with my children too, but I'm pretty sure they weren't listening...Oh, well...
From what I remember about President ("Silent Cal") Calvin Coolidge from high school history class (Thanks, Mr. Worley!), he was not known for his elaborate speeches.  However, in this speech made to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, he said some words that we would do well to remember today:
              "We live in an age of science and of abounding accumulation of material things.  These did not create our Declaration.  Our Declaration created them.  The things of the Spirit come first.  Unless we cling to that, all our material prosperity, overwhelming though it may appear, will turn to a barren scepter in our grasp.  If we are to maintain the great heritage which has been bequeathed to us, we must be like-minded as the fathers who created it.  We must not sink into a pagan materialism.  We must cultivate the reverance which they had for the things that are holy.  We must follow the spiritual and moral leadership which they showed.  We must keep replenished, that they may glow with a more compelling flame, the altar fires before which they worshiped."


Now that gives greater meaning to our inalienable rights of "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"!
Happy Independence Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment